Sunday, May 29, 2011

On the mend!

My sweet 5 year old had surgery to remove her tonsils and adenoid last Friday, May 20th.  :(  She has not been a happy camper!  I didn't realize how hard recovery is.  Well, I guess I forgot...my 12 year old had this same procedure done when she was 2 1/2, so it's been awhile!  She did SO good after we got home from the hospital the first evening, that I thought her recovery would be a breeze.  I was so wrong!  It was so much worse than I had expected.  However,  I do believe that we are almost through with the really tough part, and hopefully it's all downhill from here!  At the one week mark, she had seriously gotten so tired of being in the house lying on the couch all day, that we decided to go outside and let her play.  Of course she did her favorite thing...rode her bike!  It sure was nice to see her up and (sort of) back to her lively self again!  Also at the one week mark, she had lost 5 lbs.  Poor thing got her appetite back a few days ago, but eating has been kind of tough even with the softest of foods.  Even though it's been hard for her, I'm so thankful because even on the first night, the results were amazing!  No more snoring, no gasping for air, or stopping breathing!  Thank you, Lord!  No more Sleep Apnea!  She has been such a quiet sleeper, that I'm still checking on her quite often.  Now it's for the opposite reason though!  I keep checking to see if she's breathing!  I'm very thankful that this procedure was finally done, especially before she starts Kindergarten.  I'm hoping for no more sleeping issues, no more frequent night-waking, sleep walking/talking, tiredness, grouchiness, and sweet restful sleep!  I pray over all my children and family before bedtime nightly, and I always reminded myself (and God) this precious promise:  "...the one who watches over you will not slumber." ~Psalm 121:3b  Even with the baby monitor in her room and on the bad nights with her actually sleeping in our room, eventually I fell off into a deep sleep and couldn't monitor her breathing.  But I could rest assure that God was there with us and watching over her!  It's so good see the fulfillment of this promise with her sleeping so peacefully now!  "In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, O LORD, will keep me safe." ~Psalm 4:8
Here's some photos of our playtime Friday (one week after surgery).






















No comments:

Post a Comment